Oral health is an important part of overall health. Gum recession is a dental problem in which the gums surrounding the teeth pull back or wear away. It can be challenging to know what to do if this starts happening to you, which is why you should trust a periodontist, like Dr. Richard F. Amato. Here are a few things you should know about receding gums:
1. Gums can recede due to a few factors. They might recede because of periodontal disease, genetics, hormonal changes, a lack of dental hygiene, brushing your teeth too aggressively, crooked teeth, teeth grinding or using tobacco products.
2. Common signs of this oral issue are gaps between your teeth and gum line, tooth sensitivity, a notch near your gum line or the appearance of your teeth getting longer.
3. If periodontal disease is present, it can often be treated by a deep clean, sometimes called scaling and root planing. Antibiotics may also be given.
4. When deep cleaning doesn’t work, surgery may be necessary. There are a couple of different surgical options, including gum grafting or the less-invasive Chao Pinhole® Surgical Technique.
5. Taking good care of your mouth is an important part of preventing gum recession in Monroe, CT. Brush and floss every day, quit smoking, maintain a healthy diet and keep track of changes in your mouth.
6. Receding gums can lead to tooth loss, and some studies tie oral health issues to other health problems including cardiovascular problems and diabetes.
It’s important to keep a close eye on the state of your mouth. If you have questions about receding gums, call a periodontist today. Dr. Amato can provide more information regarding your overall health. Call Dr. Amato today at 866-891-2917 to learn more about what you can do to prevent and treat gum recession in Monroe, CT.